Sunday, November 25, 2012

Green Juice

Look at that green goodness right there! Gorgeous. I've been on a juicing kick for awhile now. Each morning, I wake up to one of these giant green juices and it makes me feel so good. I've known about the health benefits of juicing fresh vegetables and fruits for a long time. After all, my first job in high school was at a juice bar, where we made different concoctions of vegetables and fruit. I've enjoyed having juices occasionally over the years, especially if I was battling a cold or just needed an extra nutrition boost. But now that I have a juicer of my own (a purchase made just about a year ago), I can enjoy them on a regular basis.

What's wonderful about juicing is that it's possible to consume very large amounts of vegetables and fruits in a very absorbable form. Basically, all the vitamins, minerals, and enzymes from the raw produce is quickly transported to and used by the body's cells. There's no fiber to break down and slow digestion when it comes to juice.  The juice itself is extremely detoxifying, contributing to a whole host of health benefits. So, here's to a big glass of green goodness, full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes to keep your beautiful body humming along wonderfully!

Super Green Juice 
Note: when juicing vegetables and fruit, it's important for them to be organically grown so you're not ingesting toxic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc...

4-5 leaves of kale
2 collard green leaves
3 stalks of celery
half a cucumber
juice of one lemon
1 or 2 apples
1 inch piece of fresh ginger

Add vegetables and fruit to the juicer, making sure to juice the lemon by hand separately into your glass. Juicing the entire lemon with the peel is just a bad idea. Enjoy!


For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

3 comments: