Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Savory Breakfast

Recently, I've been changing up my routine for breakfast. For as long as I can remember, I've eaten oatmeal, lots of fruit, and nuts (usually almonds and walnuts) in the mornings. In the summertime, it's lots of fresh berries. In the fall, it's lots of apples and pears, and everywhere in between it's a mix of dried and fresh seasonal fruits. And I love my packed bowls of oatmeal very dearly. But over the last few weeks, since the local fruit season is definitely winding way down, I've been drinking a giant green juice in the morning filled with kale, celery, lemon, apple, and ginger followed by a meal with some more green. And you know what? I'm loving the way I feel. Loading up in the morning with greens is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. I'm also trying to get more healthy fats and protein into my diet, as well, so a beautiful poached egg and avocado is perfect on top of a bed of wild rice, steamed broccoli, and probiotic-rich sourkraut. It might sound weird to have such a savory meal for breakfast, but it works for me. Did you know that it's perfectly normal for the traditional Japanese (who usually live to be over 100, I might add) to eat vegetables, rice, and even fish in the mornings for breakfast? Yeah.  And to be honest, eating this in the mornings keeps me full for hours with zero signs of low blood sugar that I would normally get with oatmeal during a busy day of work. So I leave you with inspiration to have some green in your breakfast...and maybe next time I'll share my recipe for the giant green juice, as well.


For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment