Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rose Hip Tea


It's amazing what I find on my walks around my neighborhood. I'm lucky enough to live in a place where blackberry bushes are literally everywhere and fruit trees grow on almost every street. We're talking figs, various varieties of plums, apples, and pears. Gorgeous curbside gardens overflowing with kale, chard, and tomatoes are the norm. Artichokes are growing on street corners. Seriously people, I live in a city that's full of incredible food! And the best part is that gardeners are willing to share it! It's pretty freaking awesome if you ask me. Just the other day, I came home with at least eight pounds worth of fruit just picked from some neighbors' trees. I'm a lucky girl.
On one of my walks yesterday, I came across a gorgeous wild rose bush that was bursting with these gorgeous ruby orbs. They're called rose hips, and while they may not be the first to come to mind when you think of edible fruits, they certainly are a fruit that's worth looking for. Rose hips are the fruits that develop from the rose blossoms after their petals have fallen off. Cool, right? Heck, I'd take a bouquet of rose hips over the their flowered counterpart any day!
So why should we be eating rose hips? Well, upon doing a little research, I discovered that these little red fruits are incredibly nutritious. Apparently, just a single teaspoon of rose hip pulp provides more Vitamin C than an orange, making it an excellent immune system booster. Rose hips are also incredibly high in beta carotene (thanks to their incredible reddish-orange color). Beta carotene is essential for maintaining gorgeous skin and healthy cells. It's astonishing how high the antioxidant content of rose hips is! I even read that rose hips are clinically proven to improve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Those are some powerful fruits, I tell ya.

Rose hips can be eaten fresh (after the seeds have been scooped out) or they can be dried and stored for later use. I've seen recipes for rose hip jams, syrups, and tinctures. In fact, there is even a traditional Swedish rose hip soup that is quite popular during the cold winter months to help fend off colds and flu. Here, I chose to make a simple rose hip tea to really enjoy their health benefits. Depending on the variety of rose, the hips will vary slightly in appearance and flavor. The rose hips I found were from a rugosa rose bush, which is known for having the biggest, most vibrantly colored rose hips. Overall, they have a mildly tart taste and remind me a bit of the flavor of cherry tomatoes.
 There are a few ways to make rose hip tea. I chose to steep the rose hips in a teapot of boiling water for about 20-30 minutes, but you can also simmer them on the stove in water for the same amount of time until they break up and form a pulp. Either way works, just strain the pulp before drinking the tea. And of course, you can eat the pulp, as well!

Fresh Rose Hip Tea (makes 2 cups)
10-12 fresh rose hips, seeds removed
2 cups boiling water

1. Put the rose hips in a teapot or French press. Pour boiling water over them, cover, and let steep for your desired amount of time. (See note above).

2. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or push the plunger of the French press.  I pressed on the rose hips to release more of their goodness. Sweeten the tea with honey, if desired. And eat the rose hips, if you'd like an extra boost of Vitamin C!



For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. I've heard of rose hips, but I never actually knew what they were - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're interesting for sure. The tea is actually really good. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Clown as royalty, a sad Tea-Time Clown with a broken teacup, and of course a standard Tea-Time Clown, as seen in my comic.​best matcha powder melbourne

    ReplyDelete

  3. I haven't been here but I definitely want to go now looking at the tea flights! Adding to my list, thanks! :)
    where can i buy matcha green tea perth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sort of article is fascinating and enjoyable to peruse. I cherish perusing and I am continually hunting down useful data like this. DenverOrtho

    ReplyDelete
  5. e blossoms could be an indication of discourtesy. Likewise, in The european union and far in the China, wrapped blooms have a tendency to be well known blessings than organized blossoms. How would you explore the greater part of these global issues? That it is very simple, in light of the fact that the flower vendors. hand bouquet

    ReplyDelete
  6. He or she will normally try to get rest from sleeping or lying down, but in some cases, this may do nothing for them. In severe cases such as this, surgery and medicine may be the only option.Website

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the point when it comes time to plant your roses, burrow a gap that is double the breadth of the whole root and in any event two feet down. You ought to consistently guarantee that the focal point of your gap is at any rate 18 inches from the base of the item you intend to develop your roses up.
    Rose bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Purchasing tea collection online can be hard due to the number of sellers. However, there are ways on how to purchase easily online. By knowing these simple tips, you can find the right tea seller who can cater to your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.You put truly extremely accommodating data. Keep it up. Continue blogging. Hoping to perusing your next post.
    heart touching status

    ReplyDelete