Monday, September 3, 2012

Cozy Labor Day Breakfast and Multigrain Hot Cereal

All I wanted to do this Labor Day was relax with the man I love. I planned a cozy breakfast for the two of us that was a little bit more special than what we have on our usual weekday mornings. I had no intention of blogging about it, but when we prepared everything, I realized it was all too beautiful not to share.
 I've been savoring every last bit of local fruit that has been available this season, and this breakfast was full of it. Juicy peaches, Italian prune and red plums, concord grapes, succulent blackberries, late harvest blueberries and late summer strawberries have been gracing our table for the past few weeks. I'm so blessed to live in such a fertile area of upstate New York!
Instead of the typical oatmeal we both eat every morning, I decided to jazz it up by adding  buckwheat groats and quinoa. And in lieu of cooking the grains in water, I cooked them in homemade almond milk (recipe here). I toasted up some hazelnuts and shredded coconut and let the beautiful fruit do the rest of the talking. Oh how I wish fruit season would never end!


Multigrain Hot Cereal (inspired by this recipe)


1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup raw buckwheat groats
2 1/2 cups almond milk, plus more if needed (you could also just use water)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup dried currants or raisins (optional)
Toppings of your choice (I used fresh fruit, toasted coconut flakes, and toasted hazelnuts)

The night before you plan on making the hot cereal, put the oats, quinoa, and buckwheat in a large bowl and cover with water. Let the grains soak overnight to make them more digestible and to enhance their nutritional quality. In the morning, just strain them in a fine mesh strainer before following the rest of the recipe to cook them. However, this soaking step is entirely optional and unsoaked grains will work just fine.

1. Put strained (if you soaked them) grains in a pot. Add the almond  milk (or water) and bring to a slow simmer over medium low heat. Watch the grains closely, adding more milk or water if they become too thick and stirring them to make sure they don't stick. Cook the grains for about 15 minutes.

2. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, maple syrup, and currants and stir well. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, again adding more liquid if you feel its necessary. Serve topped with fruit and nuts of your choice.

Serves 2 generously



For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

29 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a beautiful meal for you and your loved one! I also adore making porridge w veggie milk when I want to me all about luxury <3

    Have a blissed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Elenore! Have a gorgeous day, yourself!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed it .... sure it will be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tips, I want to do it too, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I have read your post, it really good and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the fruits you show, very good

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fruits looks so fresh and tasty. I'd like to prepare this recipe for my family breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I love your post, it really good and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post. Thank you for this healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fruits looks so good. I am sure I can get healthy food using this recipe. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very interesting post and also helpful, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very nice post. I found your website perfect for my needs
    download anime apps for android

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent food. Thanks for the wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  13. This healthy food is really amazing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is really amazing and yummy <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks both delicious and healthy, a perfect meal for breakfast. Thanks for sharing. Electric Smoker Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    I am Micheal, I know you guys loved to know that there is a best way to enjoy BarBQ or gill your meet with any smokes that makes you and your family happy. So, go and check out the Best Electric Smoker 2021 link is given.I love to tell you about Best Electric Smoker 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great tips.. thanks for sharing! i'll try it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really Yummy, Blog of recipe.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If  You Like To Know More About Best Electrical Smokers 2021 Deeply, Then You Can Go On: Best Electrical Smokers 2021

    ReplyDelete
  20. i really need this recipe! thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sure I can get healthy food using this recipe. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete