Thursday, July 12, 2012

Blueberry Apricot Crisp


I've gone blueberry picking three times over the past week. I've picked 26 pints of them. It's safe to say that I'm a happy woman. And my refrigerator and freezer is overflowing with them. And I'm going on Saturday to pick some more. Blueberry season only lasts a few weeks out of the entire year, so I need to stash away as many as I possibly can! Yes, I know I'm crazy.
My favorite way to enjoy them is simple: fill a bowl with fresh blueberries and eat. But I figured with all of these blueberries coming out of my ears, I had to at least bake something with them. So, being the amazingly creative super boring baker that I am, a crisp was made. I threw in some fresh apricots for good measure. And I'm  not gonna lie, but I ate almost the entire thing for lunch today. Hey, blueberry season comes around only once a year and I'm here to make the most of it.
Yesterday, I wrote about a raw fruit crumble that was absolutely lovely, so today I figured I share with you a cooked version. This is a lighter version of your typical fruit crisp. There's no flour, which means it's gluten free. And it uses coconut oil instead of butter, which makes it vegan. And finally, as with every dessert I make, there is no refined sugar in this crisp. Pure maple syrup all the way, baby!

Blueberry Apricot Crisp 

For the filling:
2 pints blueberries
3 apricots, sliced
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
3 tsp arrowroot powder

For the topping:
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger

1. Put blueberries and apricots in an 8"x8" square baking dish

2. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup maple syrup with 3 tsp arrowroot powder and stir with a fork very well until there are no clumps. Pour this mixture over the berries in the baking dish and toss to combine. Put the baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the berries are bubbly.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the topping ingredients and toss well. Pour onto a parchment paper- lined baking sheet and bake in the 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, stirring once to promote even cooking. Remove from the oven when the granola topping is nicely browned and crunchy. Set aside until the fruit is done baking.

4. When the fruit is done baking and is nice and bubbly, remove it from the oven and top it with the granola mixture. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before eating.



For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. Love the nature and you will save the humanity in my opinion. This blog also tell the students of costom writing to raise the issue of this in their blogs. We will serve ourselves then as the surveillance of the nature.

    ReplyDelete