Friday, June 22, 2012

Raw Pad Thai


Yep, I made some raw Pad Thai this week. It looks really pretty right? And those daikon radish noodles are pretty cool. But was it tasty, you ask? Did it taste at all like my favorite Thai dish? Well, it didn't taste at all like my favorite dish a my local Thai restaurant. But it didn't taste bad either. Let's just say, it wasn't quite my taste.
I did enjoy making the raw noodles from daikon radishes. Daikon radishes look like large white carrots. They have a mild radish flavor and are super good for you. I can definitely see myself making raw daikon radish noodles again. They weren't at all hard to make and they seem to take on flavor from a sauce or dressing pretty well. I'd say they're a really healthy alternative to pasta or rice noodles.
As far as this particular sauce, I wasn't too much of a fan. Maybe it's because the coconut milk just seemed too heavy to me. Maybe because it was lacking that sweet and savory flavor of typical Pad Thai sauce that I love so much. I don't know. But if you like creamy coconut sauces, you might just like this one. I'm not bashing the recipe, it just wasn't something that I particularly liked.
So why am I blogging about a recipe I didn't like? Because I realize that everyone has their own tastes and just because I don't particularly like something doesn't mean that no one else will. I also promised I would post some recipes I've tried during my week of being raw, so I didn't want to disappoint. And lastly, I thought the pictures I took of this dish came out nice, and I wanted to share them. Stay tuned for more raw recipes to come!

Raw Pad Thai (adapted from Earthsprout)


Noodles
3 Daikon radishes

1. Peel the daikon radishes. Then, with the vegetable peeler, make noodles of daikon by continuing to peel radish as you rotate it. Put the "noodles" in a large bowl.

Sauce 
1.5 cups Coconut milk
2 tbs Tamari
1 large clove of garlic, minced
½ tsp Himalayan salt
1 small handful of fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
½ lime, zest & juice

1. Mix all ingredients and pour over the bowl of noodles. Let marinate over night for best result (or at least 1 hour).

Veggies 
1 large carrot
15 small radishes (I left these out of mine)
½ large ripe mango
1 spring onion

1. Rinse, peel and prepare all vegetables and fruits as in the picture.
2. Toss them together with the marinated noodles. Serve with fresh cilantro.



For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Love this dish! It doesn't make a mess of the kitchen and it gave me a chance to try out my new Spiralizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this blog and you will always know the best writing tips first! It is definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete