Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chunky Tomato Salsa

So I realize I haven't posted recipes for complete meals lately. And I guess I'm continuing that trend by posting this recipe for salsa. But this stuff is so amazingly good and pairs so well with so many complete meals that it deserves a complete post dedicated solely to it. I promise to start posting some delicious meals soon. It's not like I haven't been cooking, so expect to see some good food coming soon.


I absolutely adore Mexican food, but I'm not a fan when it's greasy or fried. It doesn't usually have the healthiest reputation, I know. I always go for a vegetarian option when it comes to Mexican food. And honestly, when you make it yourself at home, it's so easy to make Mexican healthy without sacrificing any flavor. Check out my  black bean and quinoa burritos if you don't believe me.
Use this salsa on eggs, on burritos or sandwiches, or mixed in with some rice and beans. It's better than any jarred varieties of salsa I've tried and it's super easy to make. I've made it 3 times in that past 3 weeks, so I guess you can say we've been enjoying it on lots of things.

Chunky Tomato Salsa (makes about 2 cups)

3 large fresh Roma Tomatoes, diced
1/2 of a small red onion, finely chopped (use less if you prefer)
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
juice of half a lime
1 small red chili pepper or jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped (feel free to use more or less)
1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional, but  it makes the salsa texture great and gives it a rich tomato taste)
Lots of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (I use about 3 tablespoons)
sea salt to taste

1. Put chopped onion, garlic and lime juice in a large bowl with a good pinch of salt.

2. Add the diced tomatoes, chili or jalapeno pepper, and tomato paste. Stir very well to combine. Add another good pinch of salt.

3. Add the cilantro and mix again. Transfer to a jar or another bowl and serve or keep it for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. And it gets even better after a few days of refrigeration as the flavors really meld.



For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment