Friday, May 6, 2011

A New Chapter...and Kumquats

 My life has been a whirlwind lately. So many things are about to change. Things that I'm excited about, nervous about, anxious about. I'm about to embark upon a new journey. I'm turning the page of my college years and opening to a whole new chapter of my life. I'm starting something completely new, much like I tried something completely new today. Kumquats.

Kumquats are mini citrus fruits the size of grapes. Their rind is edible with almost a sweet flavor and the flesh is quite sour. They're extremely high in vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant. Their bright orange color is due to their carotenoid content. Since the rind is consumed, you get numerous essential oils, fiber, and extra antioxidants from that, as well. Altogether, these phytochemical compounds in kumquats and other colorful fruits and vegetables helps scavenge harmful oxygen derived free radicals from the body and thereby protect us from cancers, diabetes, degenerative diseases and infections. They're also quite pretty to look at, don't you think?
I am so ready to begin this new chapter and embrace all the new things that will come my way. There are endless possibilities awaiting. I'll be the first to admit that it's a bit scary. But sometimes, I think the best thing we can do is to dive in, take chances, and embrace the change. Embracing the change and stepping out of the comfort zone. Like biting into a sour kumquat...rind and all...and finding out that it really doesn't taste too bad.

5 comments:

  1. I'm ready to start a new chapter too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are the best!!

    So-- I bought kumquats a couple weeks ago intending to put their flesh in a salad. I was somewhat disappointed with their lack of pulp, and wasn't sure what to do with them.

    I ended up juicing them, adding sweet mustard, apple cider vinegar, and some olive oil-- BEST dressing EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I've sliced them into little discs (peel and all) and put those in salads...they're really good and make the salad look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete