Saturday, March 5, 2011

Super Moist Whole Wheat Banana Bread

This is one of the very few things that I can bake well. And it's actually my favorite thing to bake. I've used the same recipe for years and it never fails me. And don't let the whole wheat flour scare you away. It lends such a great texture to the bread and it makes it incredibly healthy, with whole grains instead of refined white flour, which is stripped of all its nutritional value.

 Many banana bread recipes I find are way too sweet, when they really don't need to be. With all those sweet ripe bananas in there, it really pays to add less sugar and let the natural sweet banana flavor shine through.

 This bread really couldn't be any easier to make. It's almost impossible to mess it up and I guarantee you will think it's delicious. To mash the bananas, just unpeel them, put them in a bowl, and mash with a fork, or even a potato masher if you have one. And do not skimp on the raw sugar that's sprinkled on top! It makes a wonderful crunchy sweet crust that makes the banana bread extra special.



Super Moist Whole Wheat Banana Bread
4 ripe mashed bananas (the riper, the better)
1/2 cup raw sugar (plus 3 tablespoons for sprinkling on top)
2 eggs
6 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, add sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until incorporated. Add mashed bananas to the mixture and stir again. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir very well. Now is the time to add the chopped walnuts, if you'd like. Pour the batter in the buttered loaf pan. Then, sprinkle the remaining raw sugar over the top (as pictured in the third photo). This is a crucial step to follow if you want the most amazing banana bread crust ever. Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.


For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

27 comments:

  1. My favorite!!! Dump that raw sugar on top. Sooo good.
    ~Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicious recipe. Hands down best banana bread I've ever made (and trust me, I've made a lot)! The wheat flour adds a hearty quality, and the raw sugar provides the perfect crunch. Probably wouldn't be terrible if there were chocolate chips involved, but I guess that defeats the purpose of healthy eating... oh well! Thanks again for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I'm so glad you loved it so much! That makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe as well! What a treat :) I was craving something healthy and wonderful and it hit the spot! I saved it to my favorite recipes and will use it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laurie! So glad you love it as much as I do...so glad you commented. Peace and love to you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. hope it fills your belly with happiness and warms your heart!

      Delete
  6. This is a great recipe!!! I try to use whole wheat flour (instead of white flour) as much as possible so I came across this recipe when figuring out how to do so with banana bread. I actually used coconut sugar (a new obsession of mine due to its lower glycemic index) instead of the raw sugar in the batter itself but still splurged with the raw sugar on top. I also cooked it in a 8x8 pan because I don't have a loaf pan, and just shortened the time to 25 mins. It came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried making banana bread with whole wheat flour this past weekend and it came out so dry so I'm excited to try this recipe out!

    For the 4 bananas, I'm guess-estimating that comes out to about 2 cups worth when mashed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these wonders have the Element IQ highlight which is interesting to Breville. This framework guides the warmth inside the broilers to where it is required for each capacity with preset parameters. bread machines

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cookies can be a bit more difficult, especially if you are adding in ingredients such as nuts or chocolate chips that could cause the dough hook to get stuck. Check cookie doughs every 2-3 minutes.bread machines

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, with its delicate surface and delectable tissue, it is connected as healthful sustenance engaging intestinal confuse and endless ulcer cases. bananen gezond

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love banana desserts, will have to try this tasty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Families that garden together become together." Even youthful youngsters appreciate having a greenery enclosure segment they can call their own. I know as a kid despite everything I went to the greenery enclosure store to choose tomato plants for my segment of the patio nursery. https://xyzgardening.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wheat and gluten intolerance can be controlled with a proper wheat/gluten free diet. There is many other type of food available to substitute the sensitive food. With a desire to feel better and careful planning, you can have a normal lifestyle.vladimir vrbaski republika

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whole wheat is a particularly heavy flour, so if your bread machine doesn't offer a Whole Wheat Setting, don't assume that you can make adjustments successfully.bread cooker

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://engineswork.com/engines/nissan-engine/vq37vhr-engine.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some of the most important types of milling machines include the domestic milling machine, electrical milling machine, vertical and horizontal machines for grinding flours. Best domestic Flour mill India

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, I just made the bread tonight and my center was completely gooey as well. I’m cooking to for longer to see, hopefully it doesn’t dry it out.

    Luzia
    Highly recommended Cloud Contact Center

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tonight was my 2nd time baking this Banana Bread. Last week I made it in the evening and it was gone by breakfast the next day :) It only takes 35 min to bake in my oven (which may run too hot). This time I added some cinnamon to the raw sugar topping and mixed small pieces of organic crystallized ginger in the batter. Really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. bread maker machine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!Break maker online

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great, this is really amazing thanks for sharing with us. Visit Ogen Infosystem for professional Website Designing Company in Delhi, India at an affordable price.
    Website Designing Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  24. CBD iso as it is usually alluded to is generally 99.9% strong with CBD. Which means there are no fillers, added substances, or different mixtures which you might not have any desire to ingest.love drops

    ReplyDelete