Thursday, August 15, 2013

Vegan Summer Fruit Macaroon Tart

Treat every day as if it was a special occasion
I heard that recently and it really struck a chord with me. I think it's easy for many of us (ok, me in particular) to go through life and look forward to the exciting days ahead. Like our plans for the weekend or the vacation we're taking sometime in the future. Or some other life stage that we're anxiously awaiting. Or that dream that you'll fulfill "someday". And we forget to live in the now. We forget to celebrate the incredible journey that is life right in this minute. We forget to celebrate the small things (or even the bigger things that don't typically have a celebration associated with it).
I've felt that the past six months have been an incredible time of growth and changes for me. Some of those changes have been amazing and wonderful and just plain exciting. But many of those changes have been...how do I say it...uncomfortable. There have been many moments of questioning, doubt, and reasoning. Moments where I wonder if I'm actually actively pursing my dreams or if instead I'm just waiting until the time is right. Well, I'm here to say that I've decided to take the chances, do the work, learn the skills, and feel the pain. I'm not backing down. The moment is now. No more distractions or excuses.

I just quit my unfulfilling restaurant job and I'm ready to do what I love. I'm ready to do what I feel like I've been put on this earth to do. I'm devoting more time to this space and to projects that I'm passionate about. I'm seeing where it all will take me. I'm reaching out to others, soaking in everything I'm learning like a sponge. I don't have it all figured out, and mistakes will be made along the way. And honestly, I'm scared to death. But I'm putting it out there and I'm excited to see where it takes me.

And so, I'd call that a reason to celebrate. A special occasion, if you will. And what better way to celebrate than with a gorgeous tart filled with summer fruit? I don't think there's a better way.
This tart is happiness on a plate. For real. I improvised on the original recipe and made it vegan (one, because I wanted everyone to be able to eat it and two, because I ran out of eggs). It came out great. The crust is delicious and the coconut oil richness is just perfect. I imagine that just making the crust and topping it with fruit would be incredibly delicious on its own.


Summer Fruit Macaroon Tart (inspired by Heidi's Macaroon Tart in Super Natural Everyday)
For the crust:
1 ½ cups whole spelt flour (or any flour, really)
¾ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
½ cup coconut sugar (or rapadura or cane sugar)
½ tsp. fine sea salt
8 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or you can use butter)

For the filling:
2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut (I had to use some oats here because I ran out of coconut...it still came out super)
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp organic almond or vanilla extract
Pinch of fine sea salt
2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons water wisked until a gel forms (or use 4 egg whites)
2-3 handfuls blackberries
2 small plums, sliced
one small nectarine, sliced


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub coconut oil on a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan, and set it on a rimmed sheet pan.

2. To make the crust, combine the flour, coconut, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir to mix. Stir in the melted coconut oil, and mix until the dough no longer looks dusty and all flour is absorbed. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan: it should form a solid, flat layer. Bake for 15 minutes, or until barely golden. Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool for a few minutes.

3. While the crust bakes, prepare the filling. Combine the coconut, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir to mix. Add the chia seed gel (or egg whites), and mix until well combined.

4. When the crust is cool, evenly distribute the fruit over it. Drop dollops of the filling over the fruit, using your fingers to nudge it into the spaces in between. I liked keeping some of the fruit poking out from the topping.

5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the peaks of the filling are deeply golden. Cool completely before slicing and serving.

Yield: 8 to 12 slices, depending on how much you like dessert.


For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

11 comments:

  1. Looks delicious.. perfect for summer!
    http://miyafood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miya! Great blog you've got there!

      Delete
    2. The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure Email DR. VOODOO at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. Rene, congrats on your decision! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Keep writing - it's really interesting, and the photos are wonderful. My best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irina! So wonderful to hear from you. Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I'm so much happier now that I'm focusing on what I'm passionate about! All the best to you, as well.

      Delete
  3. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called dr.ajeghe. When I nearly lost David in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read so many testimony about Dr. ajeghe love spell,how he help to bring back ex lover back.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! David my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to dr.ajeghe email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help ajeghespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349069171173

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to offer a bit of advice to anyone looking for help on how to get your Ex lover back after a breakup or divorce! Dr AZEN is certainly the best spell caster, and his result is 100% guarantee. After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into several quarrels,one day he left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with may husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr AZEN can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give it a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did all what he instructed me to do,i actually follow his leads and he did a (Love spell) for me.48 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much it all seems as a dream to me in the begaining when he called me but i realized that is all a reality not a dream,it was So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he had caused me and the kids over day time he have been away from home.Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr AZEN. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr AZEN is real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore,you can as well Email him at: { azentemple@gmail.com } you can also call him or add him on WhatsApp with this number or what'sapp (+2349038299828) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to offer a bit of advice to anyone looking for help on how to get your Ex lover back after a breakup or divorce! Dr AZEN is certainly the best spell caster, and his result is 100% guarantee. After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into several quarrels,one day he left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with may husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr AZEN can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give it a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did all what he instructed me to do,i actually follow his leads and he did a (Love spell) for me.48 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much it all seems as a dream to me in the begaining when he called me but i realized that is all a reality not a dream,it was So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he had caused me and the kids over day time he have been away from home.Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr AZEN. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr AZEN is real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore,you can as well Email him at: { azentemple@gmail.com } you can also call him or add him on WhatsApp with this number or what'sapp (+2349038299828) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very happy today with my family. My name is lisa tommy living in USA, My husband left me for a good 3 years now, and i love him so much, i have been looking for a way to get him back since then. i have tried many options but he did not come back, until i met a friend that darted me to Dr.Jato a spell caster, who helped me to bring back my husband after 2 weeks. Me and my husband are living happily together today, That man is great, you can contact him via email jatolovespell@gmail.com Now i will advice any serious persons that found themselves in this kind of problem to contact him now a fast solution without stress.. He always hello, now i call him my father.contact him now he is always online email (jatolovespell@gmail.com) or contact him on his whatsapp mobile line +2348140033827.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very glad for what Dr Ogedegbe did for me, i meant dr ogedegbe through a friend he helped win a court case of divorce few weeks ago and when i contacted him, he help me to cast a death spell on my mother in-law who was really troubling my life and future, she never wanted my progress, each time I get a job from a company, I get drove back because of the witchcraft mother in-law I have, I never knew my mother in-law was the one troubling me, until one day I contacted Dr Ogedegbe for help and he told me that my mother in-law is the one troubling me and he help me cast a death spell on her. I am happy because the evil doer is dead and ever since then my life has turned around for good things, I now work fine for me and am now i am happily living beautifully with my family, thanks to Dr Ogedegbe. I recommend you to contact Dr Ogedegbe via email dr.ogedegbe6@gmail. com or call/whatsapp him via +2348109374702..

    ReplyDelete