Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Carrot Ginger Miso Soup

I have a whole new appreciation for sunshine after moving here to Seattle. When those rainy skies clear and those gray clouds lift, I am literally dancing with happiness. I'm practically sunbathing on the sidewalk (I don't have the luxery of a backyard). I'm taking advantage of every waking moment to enjoy the rays. Because sure enough, when we get three days in a row of completely clear skies this time of year, it's bound to be followed by ten gloomy ones.
This soup was made on one of those gloomy ones. I wanted to use the bunch of pretty carrots from the farmers market in a way that would warm my soul. I realized that I hadn't made carrot ginger soup nearly as much as I should have this winter. And so, I got to work putting this sunny soup together,
 
This carrot soup has some serious nutrition going on. It's brightened with the potent anti-inflammatory ginger and turmeric and is packed with beta carotene for glowing skin. The addition of traditional fermented miso paste boosts it up even further with an added detoxification benefit. As if that wasn't all enough, I topped it with some gorgeous green pea shoots and radish sprouts (because who am I kidding...I need something green on everything I eat).
Luckily, we've had some sunshine this week and I'm trying to do my best to soak up as much of it as possible. I've got a few more recipes up my sleeve this week as well, so stay tuned for some tasty goodness coming out of this kitchen of mine and into yours. Be well, everyone. And enjoy the sunshine.
Carrot Ginger Miso Soup (makes a lot of soup...you'll have leftovers)

2 onions, diced
2 pounds of carrots, or 2 bunches, cut into 1"chunks
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
2" piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
4-5 cups of water or vegetable stock
salt, to taste
2 tbs miso paste
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup(depending on the sweetness of your carrots)
sprouts, pea shoots, cilantro, or avocado (optional toppings)

1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute the diced onion in some ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes or so. Add the chopped carrots, garlic, sliced ginger, turmeric, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let simmer 20-25 minutes or until carrots are very tender.

2. Turn off the heat. Add the miso paste to the pot of soup. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until it's smooth. If the soup is too thick, you may add more water. Add maple syrup and sea salt to taste.  At this time, you may add some freshly grated ginger to the soup if you want it to have a spicier ginger kick. Serve with toppings of your choice.


For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment