Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oatcakes from Super Natural Everyday

Want a nice and healthy portable snack? Or just an excuse to bake something really tasty that's not too sweet? Then I highly recommend you give these oatcakes a try. They're from one of my favorite cookbooks, Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson, also the writer of one of my favorite blogs, 101 Cookbooks. While these oatcakes look like muffins, they are much more dense, with a crunchy exterior and hearty interior. The maple in them gives them a fantastic complex sweetness and I love that they're made with entirely whole grains. As Heidi says, they can stand up to an entire day tucked inside a purse without falling apart. Nice!
These are great right out of the oven, but also lovely eaten by themselves when you're on the go. They were also awesome lightly heated and slathered with some strawberry jam or a bit of butter. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about them.

Oatcakes (from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson)

3 cups rolled oats (not instant oats)
2 cups whole spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
1/4 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup walnuts
1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup unsalted butter (preferably organic pasture butter)
3/4 cup pure maple syrup (I'm a huge fan of the rich maple flavor of a local organic Grade B syrup)
1/2 cup natural cane sugar (I omitted the sugar and used all maple syrup, because I love maple syrup)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (preferably local free range organic eggs)

1.  Preheat oven to 325 with a rack in the top third in the oven (that's what Heidi said to do). Butter a standard 12 cup muffin pan (I used coconut oil).

2. Combine oats, flour baking powder, salt, flax seeds, and walnuts in a large mixing bowl.

3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the coconut oil, butter, maple syrup, and sugar and slowly melt together. Stir just until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Do not let mixture get too hot.

4. Pour coconut oil mixture over oat mixture. Stir a bit with a fork, add the eggs, and stir again until everything comes together into a wet dough. Spoon the dough into the muffin cups, nearly filling them.

5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until the edges of each oatcake are deeply golden. Remove pan from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then, run a knife around the edges of the cakes and tip them out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 12 oatcakes


For more fabulous food and photos from Nourish The Roots, 
be sure to follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. So I made the oakcakes and they are rather hard/densely packed. Not the softer interior I was hoping for. Any suggestions? Have you had this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    Yes, the oatcakes are very dense. They certainly aren't fluffy like a muffin. Heidi (the author of the recipe) says that they are supposed to be dense and they hold up well in her purse without falling apart. I think that's the nature of an oatcake...similar to a cookie in the shape of a muffin. They are pretty tasty, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For instance, a natural health center is one that promotes preventive medicine and wellness through natural healthcare. what does a phentermine 37.5 look like

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! It sounds good. Thanks for sharing.. coconut oil pulling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also novodalin b17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, I would like to bookmark the page so I can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. cbd gummies

    ReplyDelete
  7. What’s up, I’m Jackson. I’m a writer living in New York, NY. I am a fan of reading, photography, and programming. I’m also interested in writing and travel. FMovies Proxy, technology, programming, and gaming. I’m also interested in Mrgreentechblog. You can read my ModsApkWap sweet goodnight messages blog with a click on the button above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the best!! For postpartum snacking! I made and froze them, and just couldn’t eat enough of them while I was nursing and starving. I will make dozens and dozens this time around.
    Thank you for posting the recipe, I was having a hard time finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Commenting on a blog is an art. Good comments create relations. You’re doing great work. Keep it up. I am a professional blogger thanks.
    You may visit my latest post related to Space bar Test. I will really appreciate our visit to How to count space bar clicks?. Thank for your concern.

    ReplyDelete