Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
It's fall and it's squash season. So that means it's time to make butternut squash risotto. I really needed this comforting bowl of risotto this week and it totally hit the spot. Now, I normally prefer to stick with whole grains when I cook. Arborio rice isn't exactly a whole grain. But how can I resist this starchy Italian rice that turns into a beautiful creamy bowl of goodness? I've actually made a risotto with barley before, which was quite good, and I will be sure to share that with you soon. But in the meantime, go make yourself this indulgent meal. Pour yourself a glass of wine while you're at it.
Butternut Squash Risotto (serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side dish)
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1 1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lay the cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet (I line mine first with parchment paper, making for an easy cleanup). Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat the squash evenly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the squash is soft.
2. Pour the vegetable stock into a saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate large pot, saute the onion in butter with a pinch of salt until nicely softened. Then, add the rice and stir until it's coated in the butter, about 2 minutes. Add the wine. Pour yourself a glass while the bottle is open.
4. When the wine is almost fully absorbed by the rice, add a ladle-full of warm vegetable stock. Continue to stir until absorbed. Add another ladle full and repeat until all of the stock is used up and the rice is cooked through. If you need more liquid to cook the rice thoroughly, adding water will be fine.
5. Add the cubed butternut squash to the risotto and stir to combine. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve right away.
Like what you just read? Remember you can always "like" me on Facebook, peek into my life on Instagram, and follow me on Pinterest for more fabulous and healthy things!